Diet in type 2 diabetes - recommendations in nutrition
In type 2 diabetes, there is enough insulin in the blood to assimilate glucose, but the body cells become insulin resistant, that is, their sensitivity to insulin decreases. At the same time in the blood sugar rises, which leads to a violation of carbohydrate metabolism. Violation of carbohydrate metabolism leads to disruption of all kinds of metabolism in the body.
The diet for type 2 diabetes is very important, unlike a similar diet for type 1 diabetes, since in the initial stages of type 2 diabetes it is possible to significantly reduce the risk of complications and monitor blood sugar levels with simple restrictions and requirements.
The basis of comprehensive treatment for type 2 diabetes is diet. A diet for type 2 diabetes is needed to ensure that the pancreas does not experience stress, and that excessive amounts of glucose do not circulate in the blood.
Basics of diet therapy for diabetes mellitus type 2
Principles of nutrition for diabetes are as follows:
- You can eat all unsweetened fruits, greens, vegetables without any restrictions.
- Food products that contain an unlimited amount of fats and carbohydrates are restricted to consumption. For a more accurate calculation, you need to use the calorie count table in each product.
- Sharply restrict those foods that contain high amounts of glucose and fructose.
- Without carbohydrates, the body can not survive, as carbohydrates provide cells and tissues with energy. If carbohydrates do not come with food, then the body starts to take energy from fat stores. All carbohydrates are divided into simple( easily assimilated) and complex carbohydrates. The difference is that simple digest faster and cause a sharp jump in blood sugar levels. Complex carbohydrates are digested more slowly and do not cause such changes.
The diet for type 2 diabetes is based on the fact that the patient can not eat simple carbohydrates( glucose and fructose), as well as fatty foods, but the diet should be balanced so that the person receives the necessary amount of calories for energy.
Nutrition for type 2 diabetes was called table number 9. At the same time, the diet lacks sugar, sweets and pastries, limited consumption of salt, fat, and taste enhancers. It is not recommended to eat fried, salted, smoked and stewed foods and dishes. Recommended are steamed or steamed products with low salt content.
Foods rich in protein( fish, cereals, cottage cheese) are also recommended. The diet regime for type 2 diabetes is fractional, at least 4-5 times a day in small portions, while the carbohydrates in the food should be distributed evenly.
Products for type 2 diabetes recommended for use:
- Vegetable soups and fresh vegetables.
- Low-fat varieties of meat( beef, veal, pork, lamb, turkey).
- Low-fat fish.
- Dairy and sour-milk products( except for fatty sour cream and cream).Eggs soft-boiled, made from protein.
- Cereals - barley, wheat, buckwheat, pearl barley, oatmeal, legumes.
Fruits should be restricted to those in which there is a large amount of fructose. Fruits with type 2 diabetes are recommended only acidic or sweet-sour. To sweet fruits and berries are:
- Melon, watermelon. Sweet pears and apples.
- Sweet berries.
Useful properties of products
Especially useful properties are products such as ginger and cinnamon. Ginger with type 2 diabetes helps to achieve more vivid tints in fresh diabetic foods. In addition, ginger has a good effect on the level of potency, which is reduced in diabetes mellitus. Ginger has the ability to burn subcutaneous fat, which is also an important factor in the treatment of diabetes. From ginger, you can prepare therapeutic tea, as well as eat dry ginger powder.
Cinnamon in the diet of diabetics should be present, as cinnamon has the property of rapidly reducing the amount of sugar in the blood and regulating its level. The ability of cinnamon to restore the sensitivity of tissues and cells to insulin is also noted, due to which the amount of glucose in the blood also decreases.
Of fruits, kiwi is considered to be one of the most useful. This fruit is rich in fiber and contains little fructose. In addition, noted the ability of kiwi to regulate carbohydrate and fat metabolism by burning fat and cleaning blood from excess sugar.
The useful properties of such a fruit as pomegranate are noted. The pomegranate is able to purify blood and regulate all kinds of metabolism. Sour and sweet and sour-sweet grades of pomegranates are best, which are recommended to be used in small portions, but regularly.
Pumpkin in diabetes is used as a source of fiber, microelements and vitamins, as it has a low load and a high glycemic index. Beet with diabetes, despite its sweet taste, is included in the diet of table number 9, since it contains a large amount of fiber and has a low carbohydrate load.
Vitamins for type 2 diabetes are not limited, as vitamins are the catalysts for the initiation of carbohydrate and other metabolic species, and their presence in the diet is very important.
Often asked the question - can I go hungry with type 2 diabetes? Fasting with type 2 diabetes is an important procedure, because during the fasting the organism is cleared at the cellular level, and the deposited sugar is washed out of the target organs. At the beginning of fasting, the blood sugar level may rise, and this is the norm. After a few days, the sugar level is normalized, and for a successful result, fasting should be done under the supervision of an endocrinologist and every day measure the amount of sugar in the blood.