Broken hair( brittle, dry, split hair) - Causes, symptoms and treatment. MF.
Apr 18, 2018
Causes of brittleness of hair
And maybe this is a symptom of the disease?
Where to contact?
Treatment of brittle, split ends of hair
Skininess, dryness of hair, lifelessness, loss of shine, deterioration, thinness, thinning, change in hair structure, fragility, attendance - all these words are a description of the hair condition, which we will talk about in this article.
The hair that we see above the surface of the skin, strange as it may sound, is already dead. They consist, basically, of keratin, and we can restore them only by cosmetic means. There is also a part of the hair that we do not see. It is located in the scalp and is very sensitive to all changes in the external and internal environment.
Hair loss is a pathological condition of dryness and thinning of the hair, in which the hair splits( split) and breaks.
Causes of brittle hair
We distinguish several factors that together or individually damage our hair:
1. Wrong functioning of the sebaceous glands of the head.
2. Incorrect food. Hair needs zinc, magnesium, iron, calcium and vitamins. Without them, the hair becomes brittle, brittle, split, lose its shine.
3. Exposure to temperature( sun, frost, hairdryers, curling irons, indoor air conditioning, dry air in the house)
4. Hair coloring( especially when exposed to temperatures).
5. Frequent combing with poor quality combs and brushes.
6. Use of substandard cosmetics.
7. Hereditary predisposition.
8. Harmful habits( alcohol, smoking).
Diseases in which the symptom of hair fragility occurs
Sometimes brittle hair is only a visible sign, the root cause of which is the presence of a more serious chronic disease. Diseases, the symptom of which can be brittle hair:
- mental illness( neurosis, severe stress, psychological trauma).
- Diabetes - an endocrine systemic disease. Damage and fragility of hair - a consequence of this disease.
- anemia - a blood disease characterized by a decreased hemoglobin. It leads to a shortage of iron, which is part of the structure of the hair.
- ichthyosis and psoriasis - this disease is characterized by excessive or abnormal keratinization, which is the cause of many diseases of the skin and hair.
- hormonal imbalance( reduction of estrogen in women) - is the cause of metabolic disorders, as a result - thinning and brittle hair.
- thyroid disease( hypothyroidism) - leads to a metabolic disorder, it affects the structure of the hair.
- digestive diseases( JAB, gastritis) - disruption and absorption of food in the digestive tract. In this regard, the hair lacks nutrients.
- all kinds of allergies - the hypersensitivity of the immune reaction, which is characterized by skin rashes, can affect the scalp.
To which doctor and in what cases to handle with brittle hair
There are several alarming signs that indicate that the hair needs urgent help. In some cases, a sharp deterioration in the state of the hairline should be seen specialist - trichologist. This will help maintain the appearance of the hair and avoid more serious health problems.
Symptoms of brittle hair, which require consultation trihologa:
- To the touch, the hair is dry, brittle and rough.
- When combing, break and fall.
- Stray into lumps, especially after washing.
- It's hard to model a hairstyle - unruly hair and fluffy.
- Sekushchiesya and dry tips, which does not help moisturizing cosmetics.
It is necessary to distinguish the structures of curly hair from brittle hair. These hair are also very fragile, you should treat them with greater caution.
Treatment of brittle and split hair
Damaged hair can not be completely restored, like a sick tooth or a broken nail. You can only improve the appearance and eliminate the causes that led to damage to the structure. Methods for the treatment( repair) of damaged hair:
For healthy hair, you need, above all, a full-fledged diet rich in protein, minerals and vitamins, especially A, E and B group. Even a small defect can cause hair deterioration.
Pay special attention to your diet. It should be based on vegetables and fruits. You need to eat every day dairy products, meat or eggs, and 2-3 times a week, fish or other marine products. It is very important to eat cereals daily( 2-3 slices of whole wheat bread from wholemeal flour, 2-3 tablespoons of brown rice).
Still need to remove toxins from the body. From the daily diet should be excluded products with a high degree of processing( chips, fast food, sweets).Fried products and smoked products also contain toxins that damage the structure of hair and nails. Reduce the use of strong tea and coffee - they "devour" vitamins and lead to dehydration of the body. Drink 1.5 to 2 liters of fluid per day.
Hair is distinguished by its love of "minerals".Especially important for them are zinc, copper and silicon. Thus, every day you need to eat nuts, almonds( a handful a day) or just seeds. They contain zinc( involved in the production of protein, providing normal hair and nail growth), copper( participates in the formation of melanin - a natural hair dye).Radish, kohlrabi and celery - have a lot of silicon, which reduces brittle hair.
Eat salads with red, orange, yellow and green vegetables. Tomatoes, broccoli, lettuce, carrots, green onions, dill, parsley - they are sources of beta-kerotin, which the body converts into vitamin A. This will speed up the cell renewal cycle, contribute to the development of the basic building blocks for hair.
Medicinal keratin. Keratin is a protein from which the skin, hair and nails consist.
Keratin fibers in the hair are connected to each other by special joints, which makes the hair more flexible and elastic. This protein is also included in the outer cuticle of the hair( surface), it is responsible for its appearance. Its deficiency can lead to damage to the epidermis, disrupt the structure of the hair, cause congestion, brittleness. In this case, special preparations containing hydrolyzed keratin are used for treatment, which supplement the lack of natural substances involved in the formation of the structure of hair and nails.
Keratin, is a part of cosmetic products( shampoos, conditioners, varnishes and other preparations for styling hair) in the form of keratin hydrolyzate. It is a water-soluble protein derived from animal hair. It contains amino acids, which are the basic building blocks of proteins, similar to those found in human hair( cystine and methionine).Thanks to them, hydrolyzed keratin is easily associated with natural hair proteins, penetrates deep into their structure and restores damaged areas. In its pure form, keratin is found in the form of a transparent liquid, slightly yellow or brown with a characteristic odor.
Effects of keratin treatment:
- the hair becomes strong;
- the volume increases;
- get shine;
- moisturizes hair and makes it softer;
- closes flakes and glues the ends of the hair;
- facilitates combing;
- improves the condition of the scalp, has an antifungal and soothing effect( including eliminates dandruff);
- protects against harmful effects of oxidants contained in paints and other chemical and detergents;
- acts as a "shield" - prevents the negative effects of UV rays and wind.
Petroleum products for hair care. Cosmetic kerosene is suitable for treating all types of hair, especially dry, brittle or damaged. Kerosene allows you to achieve a quick and impressive result in the form of shiny and healthy hair.
Cosmetic kerosene acts from the roots to the tips of the hair. Strengthens, prevents the harmful effects of external factors, protects against moisture loss, eliminates the cross-section of the ends, makes the hair more flexible, removes static electricity. Due to this, the hair ceases to be dry and brittle. Cosmetic kerosene nourishes not only the hair, but the scalp, as it improves blood circulation. In addition, the drug is used in the treatment of dandruff.
How to use:
Cosmetic kerosene( a small amount) is lightly rubbed into the scalp and along the entire length of the hair for 10 minutes. Then the oil forms something on the surface of the hair like a film( does not penetrate into the depths).After 10 minutes, kerosene is thoroughly washed off. Unfortunately, kerosene is heavily washed off( usually the head should be washed with shampoo several or more times), leaves a characteristic smell and is easily ignited( make masks away from the gas stove, heating appliances, etc.).
paraffin oil ( Paraffinum Liquidum) in liquid form( obtained by repeated distillation of crude oil, peat, coal tar, shale resin - which explains its specific odor).It is part of many cosmetics. When applied to the hair prevents evaporation of moisture, softens.
Vitamin and vitamins
Vitamins and trace elements are building materials for the hair, if there is not enough of a component, a symptom of dryness and fragility may develop. To form a good hair structure, vitamins are needed:
A -( retinol, beta-kerotin) - in protein products of animal and plant origin. It is the most important vitamin for the hair.
B( the whole group) - is contained mainly in proteins of plant origin, legumes. Provides hair growth.
E( tocopherol) - is contained in oils. It is necessary for moisturizing and improving blood circulation in the scalp.
C( ascorbic acid) - contain many fresh fruits and vegetables. Improves the condition of the capillaries and nutrition of the hair follicle.
Mineral elements - contained in almost all products, especially nuts and seeds. They are the building material necessary for hair growth.
Phytotherapy for brittle hair
To strengthen hair and protect it from damage, you can apply herbal treatment.
- Horsetail is a component of many preparations for strengthening hair. In phytotherapy, horsetail is almost the only option, as it surpasses all other herbs in its therapeutic functions. It strengthens and nourishes the hair well.
- Freshly squeezed spinach juice - has a good toning effect on the hair.
- Lemon and cabbage juice - rub into the roots of the hair. Systematic application will significantly improve the condition of the hair.
- Nettle( decoction) - gives the hair volume, tones, contains vitamins A and K.
- Aloe vera( juice, pulp) - helps to improve hair, cleans well, moisturizes.
- Black radish( juice) - stimulates the growth of healthy hair, prevents loss.
- Yeast - contain protein and vitamin D, necessary for hair. Restore the structure of the hair.
- Lipa( infusions, decoctions) - will fill hair with shine, will strengthen, will give a darkish shade, will relieve of dandruff.
- Flaxseed( butter, decoction) - contains a large set of microelements necessary for the hair. It is useful to rub an infusion or a decoction into the roots of the hair, as well as consume the vagina.
- Sage - makes the hair strong and strong. It is good to use a decoction or infusion after staining.
- Colorless henna for hair - covers hair with an invisible film, smoothes scales, makes hair thicker.
- Licorice( decoctions, infusions) - is more known in medicine as an antitussive and laxative. But regular rinsing with infusion from the root of the plant will have a curative effect on the hair.
- Brown elder - a decoction of dried leaves is drunk before eating. Moisten the hair with a decoction during combing. This procedure will make the hair healthy and smooth.
In sensitive hair, rub the oil well. It is best to do this at night. For example, argan - oil contains fatty acids, which moisturizes the hair well.
Masks for fragile hair
For fragility and dryness, once a week you need to nourish and moisturize your hair with masks. The mask differs from lotion and conditioner in that it contains natural ingredients and more nutrients. For best effect, use heat.
- Gelatin mask is an alternative to a collagen mask, which is a salon procedure. Eat gelatine according to the instructions. Apply to slightly damp hair, cover with food wrap or package, wrap with a towel. You can warm up with a hairdryer. Hold for 30 minutes, then rinse off with cool water. Hair will be heavy, shiny and healthy.
- Mask of egg white - to separate several proteins of chicken eggs, add 1 spoon of kefir mixed, apply on hair, slightly foaming. Close the food film or put on a shower cap, so that the squirrels do not dry out. With a strong brittle hair, this composition can replace the shampoo. Mask rinse with warm water. An unpleasant odor will help to remove lemon juice or apple cider vinegar, diluted 1 tablespoon per glass of water. Just rinse them with the head after applying the mask.
- Cured mask - mix 1 ripe banana and a packet of fat cottage cheese, apply on hair for 15-20 minutes, then rinse well with shampoo and rinse hair with herbal decoction. You can make such a mask in the sauna or sauna, after wrapping the hair with a film.
- Mask from avocado - take 1 ripe fruit, knead it( you can use a blender), add 2 tablespoons of sour cream, 1 tablespoon of honey. Apply to the hair along the entire length. Leave for 20 minutes, then rinse with shampoo. The effect of heat will also improve the effect.
Salon procedures for fragile, split ends of hair
- Lamination of hair - covering the hair with a special colorless or colored compound. Smoothes the hair and makes it more dense.
- Keratin hair straightening - directed regeneration and rapid hair restoration. Rihtuet, smooths and nourishes its structure. The hair is covered with a keratin composition using heat. Thus, all the holes and damages of the hair are filled with keratin proteins.
- Haircut "hot scissors" - the procedure is carried out with special scissors with heating. As a result, the ends of the hair, as it were, "melt", which prevents their fragility and cross section.
- Treatment of hair with liquid collagen is a professional tool. The procedure is reminiscent of using hair balm. The smoothness effect lasts up to 2 weeks.
- Hair extensions - only externally increase the volume, improve the appearance and amount of hair. Strongly harms the hair, as it exerts additional stress on the hair follicle. The procedure is the gluing of strands of artificial hair to a strand of a smaller size near the roots of the hair.
Prevention of brittleness of hair
Preventive measures that help to prevent brittleness, keep hair healthy and strong:
1. Avoid aggressive procedures( drying, curling, dyeing, etc.) that can weaken your hair.
2. Cut the tips regularly.
3. Before going to bed and during washing, do a small head massage to stimulate the sebaceous glands.
4. Do not wash your hair too often.
5. Use cosmetics( balms, conditioners, etc.).Hair should always have something applied, whether it's balm or its natural sebaceous layer.
6. Protect hair from cold and heat effects( wear a hat or hood in winter, use UF protection in the sun)
7. Improve your diet( eat foods rich in protein, polyunsaturated fatty acids, as well as vitamins, minerals)
8. Do not dye your hair with chemical paints. Instead of paint, use the staining of henna.
9. Properly comb your hair. Do not pull, do not make sharp jerks.
Cosmetic means for hair care.
Conditioners and hair balms.
After washing hair with shampoo, dry the hair with a towel and apply conditioner. Not rubbing, but stroking the hair from the roots to the tips. Hold for 15-20 minutes and rinse. It is better to wash off first warm, and then cool water. Thanks to this, the scales of the hair will open, absorb the balm and under the influence of cold water will close. If possible, dry hair naturally.
Balms can contain:
Alcohol - isopropyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, cetearyl( Alcohol 40B) - it softens hair well.
Oils - coconut, herbal, creamy, shea butter, cocoa, etc. - they give hair shine, prevent loss of moisture.
Proteins - keratin.
For washing brittle hair, non-sulfate shampoos are best suited, since SLS( sulfate) shampoos strongly dry the hair. However, in the composition of SLS shampoos can include silicones and parabens, which make hair more smooth and shiny, softening the effect of sulfates.
The head needs to be washed no more than once in 5-7 days. Usually rub shampoo on hair 1-2 minutes before foaming and then wash off.
Lotions, hair sprays.
Make on the basis of extracts of herbs that produce mucus( lime, flaxseed) with the addition of various vitamins.
Keralatin, silicone and various oils are added to the composition of the sprays, which facilitate combing and moisturizing the hair.
Hair restoration is a permanent( temporary) effect, requiring constant supportive procedures and financial costs. Therefore, it is better not to wait for damage to the structure, in time to take preventive measures, so that the hair grows strong and healthy.
Doctor cosmetologist Kondratenko NA