The main measures of exogenous caries prevention
Dental pathology, characterized by demineralization of human teeth and softening of enamel and dentin, is called caries. To prevent the emergence of unpleasant pathology and its consequences, exogenous caries prevention is carried out.
To prevent the development of the disease, a whole range of preventive measures is carried out. Given that the main provoking factors include excess carbohydrates in food, fluoride deficiency in food and water, as well as dental deposits, the goal of an integrated prevention system is to eliminate them.
Thanks to preventive measures, it is possible to protect the tooth from a cariogenic process by ninety-five percent.
The main areas of preventive measures include:
- elimination of external causes of pathology;
- increase the resistance of dental tissues to harmful bacteria.
The main preventive measures include:
- Correct oral care.
- Compliance with the power mode.
- Operation of fluorine-containing toothpastes.
- Elimination of deformations.
- Regular visit to the dental office.
The main types of preventive measures
The key types of prevention are:
- Primary prevention of dental caries( conducted to prevent disease).
- Secondary( performed to treat caries and complications).
- Tertiary( restoration of the functions of the dentition and its integrity).
Primary preventive methods
Exogenous prevention of caries is carried out with the purpose of increase of resistance to cariogenic processes of tooth enamel. This should include both local and general methods that presuppose the effects of drugs on the human body. To the local methods of this type of prevention include the following manipulations with the enamel:
- sealing of fissures;
Cupping of fissure caries
One of the most effective methods of primary prevention of dental caries is considered to be the sealing of fissures, or natural depressions, located on the surface of the chewing teeth between the mounds.
During the procedure, the doctor fills cavities with high-quality sealants, which are sufficiently resistant to acidic attack. It is supposed that the sealing should be carried out in childhood, but modern conditions make this method relevant for adult patients under fifty-five.
In case of incorrect hygienic care, the sealing of fissures is strictly contraindicated.
Use of mineralizing solutions
Calcium-containing and phosphorus-containing solutions are widely used in exogenous caries prevention. The procedure is as follows:
- The cotton swab is wetted in a calcium gluconate solution and applied for 10-15 minutes.
- After this time for 2 min.a tampon moistened in a solution of sodium fluoride is applied.
According to leading dentists, if you carry out this procedure at least three times a week for six months, the risk of pathology will decrease by thirty percent.
Fluorine, forming in the tooth enamel structures that possess a high degree of resistance to the disease, as well as the overwhelming growth of harmful bacteria, has an effective anti-caries effect.
The prevention of caries development is facilitated by the use of fluorine-containing drugs:
- "rinse" tablets( used in adolescence under strict medical supervision);
- toothpaste for cleaning teeth;
- varnishes and gels( applied to the enamel, they can be used instead of toothpaste).
Not the last place in preventive measures occupies hygiene of the oral cavity. In order to eliminate the risk of recurrence, it is important to clean your teeth correctly and use a gentle toothbrush.Like this article? Share with friends and acquaintances: