Superficial caries: methods and main stages of treatment of a dangerous pathology
The result of destructive changes in tooth enamel is the appearance of a specific speck of white color. After some time on the spot spot is formed superficial caries, which is an irreversible stage in the progression of dental pathology. If the carious process spreads to the upper dentinal layers, the doctor diagnoses the development of the middle caries.
Why does tooth decay occur?
Specialists in the field of dentistry distinguish two groups of factors against which background caries arises and progresses.
Common causes of
Common factors in the development of this type of dental pathology include:
- drinking low-quality drinking water;
- defective diet;
- the presence of somatic pathologies that occur during the formation of dental tissues.
Local causes of
In addition to common factors, there are also local causes of surface caries:
- a violation of the basic properties of saliva and its composition;
- pathology of the biochemical composition of dental tissues;
- the presence of dental plaque, "stuffed" with harmful microorganisms;
- presence of plaque.
Superficial caries develops in stages. The first stage in the development of pathology is the appearance of a painful syndrome( a short-term character), the cause of which is considered to be chemical stimuli. In those areas where the tooth enamel layer is the thinnest, short-term pain syndrome appears against the background of contact with temperature irritants or a toothbrush.
On examination at the dentist, a small defect is found on the affected area, localized within the boundaries of the tooth enamel. Determine it is not difficult, because on this site the enamel differs roughness.
If the carious cavity is localized on the contact surface of the tooth, then there are signs such as:
- Bleeding while touching the painful area.
- Jammed food intake.
- Inflammatory process, proceeding in the dentogingival papilla.
Do not hesitate with the diagnosis!
Each of the symptoms is an alarm bell, indicating that you should not hesitate to visit a qualified dentist.
To determine the correct treatment, the doctor decides on differential diagnosis with erosion of the enamel.
Treatment of superficial caries involves a delicate approach. This is because the depth of the carious lesion is localized within the boundaries of the tooth enamel.
Stages of treatment
A qualified dentist begins treatment of a diseased tooth with gentle grinding of the affected enamel. The next stage in the treatment of superficial caries is the application of a fluorine-containing therapeutic agent to the affected area.
After the restoration of tooth enamel and the disappearance of the terrible stain, the attending physician suggests that the patient undergo a course:
- restorative therapy, which includes taking fluoride and calcium-containing preparations;
- vitamin therapy.
Three scenarios of
In modern dentistry there are at least three behavior scenarios in case of diagnosing this type of caries:
- Timely treatment of pathology.
- Observing the teeth of the client for several months or years( in case of relapse treatment should resume).
- Carrying out the sealing( actual in case of risk of carious defeat of fissures).
It should be noted that the treatment of this type of carious pathology is a complex of simple procedures. In order to prevent the development of a deep carious process, it is recommended to visit the dentist's office on time.
To avoid relapse, it is recommended that people at risk of developing this form of carious disease pay attention to preventive measures.
The main preventive measures include:
- strict adherence to oral hygiene( it is recommended to clean teeth with a gentle brush and fluoride toothpaste);
- refusal from snacks, including the use of harmful products( it is recommended to replace them with full lunches, breakfasts and dinners);
- regular visit to a qualified dentist( once or twice a year);
- dental processing and eradication;
- timely and correct treatment in case of relapse( appearance of a speck of white color).
In case of non-compliance with preventive measures, the process can take an irreversible form.
Often, the future mother and her child are often at risk of developing this form of carious pathology.
To ensure that the baby does not encounter the need to visit the dental office and prolonged, painful treatment of pathology, it is important to take care of the health of his teeth during the period of gestation. To do this, use as many vitamins as possible, treat opportunistic diseases on time, and pay attention to strengthening immunity.Like the article? Share with friends and acquaintances: