Thrush in men: symptoms, treatment, photos, causes
Mar 21, 2018
Thrush occurs not only in men, but also in women, and the latter most often. According to the World Health Organization, approximately 50-70% of the male population of the planet had at least one episode of the disease throughout life.
It is characteristic that thrush most often affects men of childbearing age, that is, those who have an active sexual life. Some photos, as well as the symptoms and treatment of this ailment, we will consider in this article.
Candidiasis in men is classified as follows in terms of topographic damage:
- 1) Candidiasis;
- 2) Candidiasis urethritis;
- 3) Candidiasis balanoposthitis.
- 1) Sporadic-occurs spontaneously in patients with normal immune system status, while its course varies from mild to moderate;
- 2) Recurrent, which is most common in patients with weakened immunity. It is characterized by the presence of four or more relapses within 12 months.
Causes of thrush in men
The main cause of thrush in men is infection with yeast-like fungi of the genus Candida. It is accepted to distinguish two main groups of pathogens:
- 1) Candida albicans, which shows the greatest sensitivity to modern antifungal agents;
- 2) Candida non-albicans - less sensitive to all antimycotics, which causes difficulties in the treatment process.
However, candidal balanoposthitis often develops in those men whose sexual partner currently suffers from candida vulvovaginitis. Probably, in this case, the activation of its opportunistic microflora by some special mechanisms occurs.
Symptoms of thrush in men
The clinical symptoms of candidal lesions of the urogenital organs of men, that is - thrush, are usually divided into subjective and objective( see photo).
Subjective symptoms are, in fact, complaints of the patient with whom he comes to the doctor( or they worry him, but he does not seek medical help, which is unacceptable, since the disease can progress steadily).
The main symptoms in men in this case are the following:
- redness and swelling, which are determined in the region of the head of the penis;
- in the same place can appear different rashes( most often papules);
- in the lesions is determined by a white curdled coating;
- feeling of itching and burning sensation, which is felt on the penis and in the anal area;
- sensation of discomfort in the external genital area;
- pain during intercourse, which is called dyspareunia, which is associated with additional traumatization of the inflamed penis with frictions;
- during urination also feels itching or burning, and also rezi that lead to spontaneous urine retention with possible attachment of bacterial infection and the development of urethritis and cystitis in men.
- redness and swelling of the penis head;
- the presence of various eruptions in this area - it can be pimples, areas of erosion and spots;
- pathological rashes are often covered with a white coating of curdled consistency;
- on the background of the inflammatory process, cracks appear localized on the glans penis, which are an additional factor leading to increased pain.
Diagnosis of thrush in men
Based on the clinical picture, a preliminary diagnosis of candidal disease of the genito-urinary organs can be made. However, for the final verification of the diagnosis, a laboratory examination is necessary.
It has two main objectives:
- 1) To detect the presence of an inflammatory process in the genitourinary system;
- 2) Identify the pathogen that led to its development.
- general clinical urine analysis giving primary information;
- urine analysis by Nechiporenko, which determines the number of shaped elements;
- microscopic examination of the discharge from the urethral opening.
- 1) Microscopy of fresh preparations in which fungal spores are detected, directly fungi;
- 2) Microscopic examination of preparations to which potassium hydroxide 10% is added( a characteristic fishy smell appears);
- 3) Microscopy of preparations that are colored according to the Gram;
- 4) A culture study involving the culture of the discharge from the urethra or urine into special media, followed by evaluation of the grown colonies.
. The polymerase chain reaction is an expensive method, but it allows one to assess the species to which the candida belong. This is especially necessary in the case when the standard antifungal therapy is ineffective. If you do not pause in time, how to treat thrush in men, then there will be unpleasant complications that are listed below.
Complications of candidiasis in men develop when patients do not consult a doctor and, therefore, do not receive treatment in a timely manner. This leads to such negative consequences as:
- generalization of infection with extragenital organs( candidiasis of the gastrointestinal tract, candidiasis pneumonia);
- male infertility;
- problems with potency and some others.
Treatment of thrush in men
The indication for the medical treatment for urogenital candidiasis in men is the definitive diagnosis.
Therapy of the sexual partner is not performed, since thrush is not sexually transmitted. As a result of the treatment, the following goals should be achieved:
- complete relief of clinical symptoms of thrush in men;
- laboratory recovery - normal leukocyte counts in microscopic examination and absence of detectable fungi in assays;
- prevention of possible complications of the disease.
Currently, treatment for thrush in men should begin with the use of antimycotic drugs for topical use. This is due to the increase in the number of candidias, which are resistant to systemic antifungal therapy. The latter is assigned only when local forms can not be used.
It should be borne in mind that creams are made on the basis of oil. And it, in turn, can damage latex rubber condoms and diaphragms. Therefore, it is necessary to choose a different method of contraception. In this case, do not forget that the combined oral contraceptives, which can take a woman, also increases the likelihood of developing candidiasis in the sexual partner.
How to treat thrush in men with the presence of the corresponding symptoms? To get rid of balanoposthitis caused by candidias, such drugs are prescribed, such as:
- cream Natamycin;
- cream Clotrimazole;
- cream Miconazole;
- Fluconazole or Itraconazole in the form of tablets.
- 1) The main course of treatment( an antifungal agent is prescribed for local or systemic use);
- 2) Maintenance therapy for six months. To do this, use Natamycin cream( applied once a week), Fluconazole or Itraconazole, one tablet a week. It is sufficient to use one of the three listed drugs.
For this purpose, either microscopic examination or culture is shown. If the treatment is ineffective, then a second course of therapy is prescribed, but with another drug. In case of repeated ineffectiveness, a culture test should be carried out to determine the susceptibility to antimycotic preparations of pathogens.
I weighed 92 kg! Fat went 3 kg a week! For this, I drank a glass before bed. ..
Nail fungus is afraid of this as a fire! If in cool water. ..
Varicose veins disappear in a few days! Just need to smear your feet once a day. ..
"Dedovskiy" method to quit smoking! In 7 days you will forget about cigarettes forever!