How to choose a grinder correctly? What is better than a hand or electric coffee grinder?
Mar 04, 2018
In order for the coffee magic to work really, the drink should be not soluble, but made from freshly milled fresh grains. And here we can not do without a coffee grinder.
Plan of the article:
- Types and features of the coffee grinders
- Essential parameters when choosing hand grinders
- Meaningful parameters when buying an electric grinder
- Manual or electric - that's the question!
Types and features of the coffee grinders
There are two main types of coffee grinders - manual and electric. The main criterion in this division is the driving force. In the first case it is the muscular strength of a person. In the second - the electric motor.
In turn, electric coffee grinders are divided into knife( rotary) and millstone. Let's consider more thoroughly the principles of work and the features of each species.
1. Grinder of knife( rotary) type
The principle of operation of this type is very simple. Grains of coffee are poured into the container with rotating knives. At the top, the container is closed with a lid, when the appliance is turned on, the knives are cut into crumbs. With a short switching on, a rough, non-uniform grinding is obtained. For the preparation of finer grinding, longer grinding of the grains with knives is necessary.
If the fineness of grinding for you is not particularly important, then the purchase of this coffee grinder will be a normal step for you.
Disadvantages of this type of device are:
- no dosage of portions - it is necessary to visually estimate the required number of grains( for the cup of the drink the number of grains is about a tablespoon);
- heterogeneity of grinding;
- probability of burning grains with intensively rotating knives;
- combining containers for grains and ground mass - this creates inconvenience when taking a powder, danger of cutting yourself with knives;
- the need for visual control of the degree of grinding of grains.
2. Grinder type
This type of coffee grinder features a mechanism for grinding grain. The grains are grinded with conical or cylindrical discs - millstones. This method of grinding allows you to adjust its degree by increasing or decreasing the distance between the millstones. When the distance is reduced, the grinding will be thinner. With increasing - accordingly more coarse. An important nuance of this type of instrument is the uniformity of grinding. It is important for coffee makers preparing coffee under pressure - espresso, cappuccino and others.
Mill grinders have more power than knife grinders - about 250-300 watts. Also this type of device lasts longer due to less extreme speeds of rotation.
Coffee grinders of this type have several degrees of grinding regulation( 6-14).They can be prepared and a large powder for the French press, and a fine dust suspension for the "Jezve".
This type of coffee grinder has two separate compartments - one for the grains, the other for the finished powder.
3. Hand grinders
The grinding mill is used as the basis for this mechanism. The grinder has a grinding intensity switch and a retractable container for ready-made coffee. There are varieties of the device, equipped with open and closed cameras, a special hole for the handle.
Time to grind the coffee beans on such an aggregate will be about half an hour. In this coffee grinder, the grains are grinded with the greatest care, preserving the aroma and palatability.
There are three types of hand grinders:
- European - has the shape of a cube. To collect grinded coffee, a special small drawer is used, which extends and allows the product to be poured out. A disadvantage of this type is the inconvenience for holding the grinder in the hands during the grinding process. During work, this device arbitrarily moves along the surface of the table. Because of this, it takes a lot of effort to get the finished product.
- Eastern - has a cylindrical shape. This form factor allows you to conveniently hold the device in your hands while processing coffee. A plus is a folding handle that increases compactness when storing the unit. This part can act as a key for disassembling and cleaning the grinder, as well as for regulating the degree of grinding.
- Without housing. It is installed directly on the container, where it is necessary to fill coffee - a mug or a bank.
Essential parameters when choosing hand grinders
1. Zhernov. This element is made of: ceramic, steel with titanium coating, cast iron, stone. The material of millstones affects the taste of the drink, the durability of operation, the uniformity of grinding.
- Cast iron is durable, wear-resistant and cheap. Minus millstones from this material is the ingress of cast-iron shavings into coffee during grinding. This causes an unpleasant metallic taste in the coffee. In addition, cast iron perfectly absorbs odors. Therefore, when changing varieties of coffee, aromas are capable of drowning each other.
- Steel has a high tensile strength. However, it wears out a bit faster than cast iron. The coating with titanium increases the life of the millstones, as well as the price of the grinder.
- Ceramics is distinguished by its fragility and fear of blows. However, its wear resistance is similar to diamond. Millstones from this material remain sharp for a long time and are not afraid of moisture and rust.
- Stone mill is an optimal, but very expensive solution. They are usually made on the basis of a ceramic-corundum alloy. The advantage of this material is its ecological compatibility, and the ability to grind coffee to dust. Odors stone also does not absorb. The expensiveness of a grinder with such millstones pays off the opportunity to give this unit even to its grandchildren.
The best option is ceramics. However, in the presence of money, it is better to choose a stone millstone.
2. Enclosure type. We have already reviewed the above types of enclosures. Now let's make recommendations. The European body type is better for those who like to put a coffee grinder as an authentic piece of furniture. It will create an atmosphere of coziness and antiquity. If you prefer to hide coffee grinders in a closet, the best options will be a Turkish and open-cell coffee grinder.
3. Changes in fineness of grinding. There are two ways to change grinding in hand coffee machines - stepped and stepless. In the stepped mechanism, grinding is regulated by certain "steps", which are done by turning the regulator. The stepped mechanism is used in the European and open-ended versions of the grinder.
The infinitely variable mechanism is realized in the Turkish type of the grinder and is controlled by turning the screw that secures the handle.
There is no fundamental difference between these methods. The option depends on the option of the grinder.
4. The location of the handle. There are two options for placing the handle - from above and from the side. The options depend on the type of enclosure. On top of the handle is at all versions of hand grinders, on the side - only in European.
A suitable option will help you choose your own preferences system. In general, coffee grinders with a side handle are more convenient. They allow you to use more muscle groups while turning the handle, and also provide a more reliable fixation of the device on the table, not allowing it to move over the entire surface.
5. Housing material. It is presented by: porcelain, wood, plastic, metal. The choice of material is limited, perhaps, only by your aesthetic preferences. It is better to choose a natural material.
6. Bunker for coffee beans. Manual grinders of all types have a hopper on top. This facilitates the process of grinding the grains. In European coffee grinders, the bunker is made in the form of a funnel. In the Turkish type, the bunker is made in the form of an upper part of the grinder. Bunkers have different sizes and differ in the presence( absence) of the lid.
The volume of the bunker is traditionally 10 - 200 grams of grain. The cover allows to reduce the level of noise during the operation of the device, as well as to preserve the smell of grains.
7. Powder container. In the European version it is made in the form of a "scarf" in the lower part of the device, in the eastern part it is the bottom part of the grinder. The volume of the container for a couple of grams is less than the capacity for grain. When choosing the volume of the container, proceed from your own preferences.
Meaningful parameters when buying an electric grinder
- Power. This parameter determines the speed at which the grinding process ends. However, when buying a coffee grinder with a high output( over 250 watts), you should know that there is a risk of charring the grains with intensive grinding. The optimum power range for delicious coffee is 160-180 watts.
- Reliability. The safety system, which provides shutdown of the grinder with the lid open, is represented by plastic pins. These elements are made of plastic and extremely short-lived. As a result, after the breakdown of these pins, the entire coffee grinder breaks down. Therefore, it is better to purchase coffee grinders with a body made of steel, aluminum or brass.
- The principle of switching on the electric motor. A number of coffee grinders work when the cover is pressed. This provides security, but creates a number of inconveniences - because you need to press the cover all the time. If this is tiring for you, you need to buy a device with the "Start" button, which you just press and release.
- Presence of dispenser. A number of models of coffee grinders are equipped with dispensers. Downloading the hopper to the full with grains, you can use only a part of them. This reduces the time of preparation of coffee.
- Presence of a timer. In rotary grinders, by practice, you can calculate the time required for grinding, and then set the timer to the desired value.
- Overheating protection. When the high-performance engine is used intensively, there is a danger of engine overheating. This will disable your device. The system of protection against overheating in the automatic mode deactivates the motor and, before its cooling, will not allow to start the coffee grinder.
- The presence of tempera. This device allows you to compact coffee in the horn of the coffee machine. Traditionally, this accessory is equipped with coffee makers. But, in case of his absence, it is worthwhile to think about buying a coffee grinder with a tempera.
- Cord harvesting option. This feature allows you to keep the cord longer in working condition, ensure convenience and compact storage of the device in the kitchen.
- Noise level. The coffee grinder is not the quietest device, but the noise effects can be reduced by various tweaks. For example, using a rubberized base grinder. It will dampen the vibration, reducing the overall noise level.
- Branded "chips". Without changing the functionality as a whole, manufacturers try to supply their offspring with various chips that can distinguish their devices in the gray mass of others. These "zamanuham" include: double knives, bowl tilt, increased engine power and antibacterial coating millstones. It is difficult to say, marketing "dummy" is it, or a valid effective innovation. However, the price of these little things will significantly affect.
Manual or electric - that's the question!
On the choice between these two types of coffee grinders, you have to answer for yourself. To do this, you first need to decide - that for you coffee - just a drink for pep, or something more.
If you do not disdain in the absence of ground coffee to drink soluble, used to "on autopilot" to wake up, quickly make coffee in a coffee machine, gulp it down and run to work, then your choice is an electric coffee grinder. It will save your time and energy, allowing you to get from the drink its productive main function - toning the body.
However, if the process of making coffee for you is a ritual, a ritual, if you are accustomed to slowly prepare this wonderful drink for yourself, and then, slowly sipping each mouthful, enjoy the taste halftones and reverberations of this drink of the gods, then your choice is uniquely manualcoffee mill.
Choosing this as a whole a simple device, rely on your own flair and practicality. They will tell you the right choice.
Enjoy your coffee!