Exercise during bed rest during pregnancy
Jun 04, 2018
Bed rest is necessary for a future mother to stabilize the condition and prevent various complications. During bed rest, you should perform certain physical exercises, easy stretches for the muscles and tendons.
To minimize the negative effects of the assigned bed rest, it is recommended that you periodically turn from side to side.
Physical exercises during bed rest during pregnancy must necessarily include circular movements in the wrist, elbow, shoulder, knee and ankle joints, as well as stretching, tightening the muscles of the hands and feet.
The tension of the front abdominal muscles should be avoided during exercise. Before you do these exercises, be sure to check with your doctor who is watching your pregnancy. Your doctor will also recommend the best posture for you in bed.
How to comply with bed rest
The basic recommendations for compliance with bed rest will be provided by your doctor. We only give some possible clarifications and clues:
- during the first trimester, bed rest is usually allowed any position in bed, until the 28th week it is permissible to lie on one side and on the back, and after - preferably only on the side, mostly the left;
- if the position of the fetus is not correct: with pelvic presentation - it is necessary to turn from side to side 3 times a day 3-4 times for 10 minutes;in the transverse position - lie on the side where the head is located;
- on the permission of the doctor it is possible to carry out special exercises for maintenance of a tone of muscles, the general possibilities of an organism;
- to comply with rational nutrition in order to avoid excessive gain in weight;if you are in a hospital on bed rest, ask relatives to bring you vegetables, fruits in sufficient quantity;
- communicate even with bed rest: use Bluetooth headset - it's so convenient and safer;
- see useful programs about pregnancy, childbirth, childcare, positive films, programs, draw;
- ask a husband or a person close to you before leaving for work to leave near to you everything that you may need;
- invite a nanny or grandmother to look after the older child.
Exercise for a pregnant woman
Pregnancy takes place in every woman in its own way, and therefore exercises in each individual case are appointed individually.
The periods of menstruation that the woman had before pregnancy - the period of the proposed menstruation, the woman's body is very sensitive to various influences, so exercise should be performed with less stress.
Up to 4 months of pregnancy, exercises are practiced in the supine position, sitting, standing at a slow pace for all muscle groups, special breathing exercises to teach breathing control. The duration of classes for those who have been engaged in gymnastics earlier is 20-25 minutes, for those not engaged - not more than 15 minutes.
In pregnancy from the 4th to the 6th month, when the uterus is still small in volume, the exercises are practiced lying down, sitting on all fours with an emphasis on training the muscles of the back, the front abdominal wall, for the hip joints at a slow and medium pace, as well as breathing exercises.
From the 6th to the 7th month of pregnancy, these same exercises are applied, but given the increased size of the uterus. Due to possible edema of the legs and changes in posture, exercises for the back, stop and improvement of venous circulation in the legs are added to the exercises of the previous period.
Starting from 7 months of pregnancy, half of all exercises are performed in the prone position and sitting at a slow pace to facilitate their performance. Exercises for the trunk and legs are limited, but the amount of exercises for the shoulder girdle and arms increases. Relaxation exercises are applied.
One month before the birth, the volume of all exercises is limited, they are performed only in the prone position. Particular attention is paid to breathing exercises with mastery of deep breathing skills in various initial positions. It is established that physical exercises conducted during pregnancy improve the course of labor, reduce the likelihood of rupture of perineal tissues and other complications.
But a pregnant woman should always remember that physical exercises should be carried out according to prescription and under the supervision of a doctor, since any physical activity during pregnancy is individual.
The right physical activity during pregnancy:
Exercises in the 1st trimester:
Useful exercises on fitball: