Wet felting: a master class and video lessons for beginners
Mar 13, 2018
Consider a wet felting out of wool, a master class. Recently, this kind of needlework began to revive, quickly acquiring admirers.
Materials for the work of
In addition to the felting wool itself, you should have:
- Large flat surface( table).
- A film with small air bubbles, which is used for packaging equipment. It is a substrate for wet felting.
- Dense mesh, type of mosquito net. It is superimposed at the beginning of the felting process, not allowing the fibers to shift and save the pattern. Soap solution. It is needed in order for the flakes of fibers to open more quickly and to bond better with each other.
- It is convenient to use a rolling pin or something similar to simplify the felting process.
Master class on wet felting from wool for beginners, let's analyze the example of creating a flower.
On a flat surface spread film with pimples.
- We spread wool on small layers in small layers. Scissors do not use, but as it were pulled out from the general mass. Here, note that in the process of felting, the wool sits about a third.
To achieve a uniform felt coat, a minimum of three layers for the base color should be used, placing a successive layer across the previous one. If this does not work, you can slightly fluff the layer, but that does not get blanks.
- In order for the flower to look more natural, put a layer of a color similar in tone to the first color.
- Now do the streaks. Slightly twisting the woolen fibers, we put them on top of the resulting petals.
- Then, with a fine mesh, cover the resulting flower so that the pattern does not go astray.
- With a warm solution of soap, we moisten the mesh, pressing it with palms for better absorption.
- The actual felting begins now. The net should be smoothed smoothly in different directions. To facilitate the task, the treatment can be continued with a rolling pin.
- If you pull the hair, and it does not separate from the thing, then the product fell flat well. Then separate the flower from the mesh and film, continue felting in the hands. To get a good dense felt, you can do it with effort. It is important that there are no gaps. Noticeable shrinkage of the flower.
- After this, rinse the product in water.
- With the help of scissors, the petals at the joints are cut and again we dump to get it neat.
- Dry the flower in a glass to give it a three-dimensional shape.
- Having fastened the clasp and stamens, you will get a beautiful brooch made by yourself.
For the manufacture of other or more complex products, we recommend the use of wet felting video, where it will be easier to understand all the steps of the felting process.
Wet felting of wool is great for creating a picture with animals, birds, fish, landscapes, still lifes. Instead of brushes and paints are used multi-colored scraps of wool, which are superimposed layer by layer and giving the painting a special charm.
Flowers can be depicted in a flat and three-dimensional form. In the first case, flowers are obtained in pictures, panels, appliqués. In the three-dimensional image, flowers are used for bas-relief paintings, dresses decoration, hairpins, jewelry.
Very successful toys are obtained. It looks natural, the material is environmentally friendly, warm, and I want to press my cheek.
The technique of wet felting is convenient because it is possible to produce large enough flat products - scarves, stoles, vests, and large voluminous things - felt boots, hats, bags.